By 9am we'd finished what we wanted to do outside and retreated inside. I spent much of the remainder of the day in and out of the kitchen. Jerry bought me 20kg of sauce tomatoes (seconds) at the fruit and veg market on Friday, and they needed to be processed. I also had 2kg each of peaches, nectarines and plums to do something with. Yesterday I salted about a kg of courgettes (zucchini) to make pickled courgette so I had to make the spiced vinegar for that too.
Yes, it is mental to be in the kitchen on a day like today, but alas, it had to be done. Luckily there is an openable skylight in the kitchen so I could let some of the hot air out earlier in the day.
By the end of the day I had:
- canned 8 1 litre jars of chopped tomatoes,
- canned 8 jars (about 5L) of tomato stock (just the cooking water for the tomatoes with bits of pulp - great for using in casseroles etc...waste not, want not!)
- made 5 jars of plum jam
- roasted and pureed about 4 kg of tomatoes - will probably turn that into tomato paste tomorrow
- finished off the pickled courgettes - 3 jars
- a loaf of sourdough rye bread rising to go in the oven later