Friday 26 March 2010

Cucumberitis

I remember not so long ago (as the lovely Jerry reminds me) complaining about the lack of cucumbers and what a dismal season it was for them.

Clearly nature has a sense of humour and wants to teach me a lesson. Today I picked 3kg, Yep, thats 3 KILOgrams of the b*ggers. Now I like cucumbers as much as the next woman, but come on...3kg ! This is all from the one plant mind you. What's more, there looks to be another 2-3 kg hanging on the vine ripening away.

Needless to say I spent some time in the kitchen peeling and slicing and salting in preparation for ANOTHER batch of cucumber pickles. On the bright sideat least they are my favourite variety (apple cucumbers), although not the best for pickling in slices, so I cut them into wedges
Anyone have a favourite pickle vinegar recipe they would like to share?

Oh and Jerry dear - cucumber will be on the menu for the foreseeable future!

2 comments:

Matron said...

That's the problem with growing your own, sometimes you just get way too many and don't know what to do with them.

baringapark said...

I want to make fermented cucumbers. I have heaps of whey, so will be making them in the Nourishing Traditions style. That's if I can bot a few off you; I didn't have a vegie garden this year :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...