Thursday 13 October 2011

Water chestnuts from Erica

Erica, a forum buddy, sent me some water chestnuts this week (swapped for some scarlet runner bean seeds) - thanks Erica!  Here they are in their new home, a laundry sink we "rescued" from the tip. The bit of branch is to provide a pathway for the frogs so they don't get stuck in there and drown.
Jerry also resized one of our garden beds that was too wide for my short arms - it's now much easier to reach across, and will be perfect for a corn crop as soon as it's warm enough to plant. Soil temps here are still around the 12-15 degree mark, too cool for many things so I'm having to resist the urge to go on a planting frenzy!

4 comments:

Zara said...

Good luck with the water chestnuts, I havent really seen the plants for sale around before.
The old laundry tub should be a great place for them. x

Margo said...

Thanks Zara - you can sometimes get water chestnuts form Green Harvest (online) but swapping is the way to go for me if possible :)

dixiebelle said...

Water chestnuts, how unusual, but I love cooking with them, must add that to my 'To Do' list!

Dmarie said...

oh, wow, hope you have great success with them. on an unrelated topic: this reminds me that we picked up some American chestnut seeds on our recent trip to a nature center. as the trees are endangered across the country, sure hoping we have some success with growing at least one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...