Wednesday 11 August 2010

Lazy Marmalade

Love marmalade but hate all that slicing, pith separating, soaking etc? Have I got the recipe for you - well yes, in fact I do!

Today I finally got around to making marmalade with some of the oranges given to us by a colleague of Jerry. I used Margueritte Patton's "whole orange" method found in her excellent Jams Preserves and Chutneys book, although I slightly adapted her recipe.

You will need (1/2 the recipe to make less)
  • 900g of oranges (or thereabouts, I used 1kg) - seville or sweet. I used sweet as it isn't Seville season.
  • 2.4 litres water
  • 1.8kg sugar
  • 2 tablespoons whiskey (my addition! I used Scottish Single Malt because that's what Jerry likes)
Put the whole oranges in a pan with the water. Simmer gently for about 1 1/2 hours until a skewer pierces the skin easily.
Remove the oranges and allow to cool until you can handle them safely. Halve the oranges and remove the pips - discard. Cut the oranges into chunks of whatever size you prefer (or you can scoop out the flesh, shop and then cut the skin into strips if you prefer) and add back to the liquid. Savour the wonderful aroma!
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and add in the sugar. Stir over a low heat until dissolved. I add in some Jamsetta (sugar with pectin) to speed things along but you don't have to - you could add lemon juice (4 tablespoons). Boil rapidly until setting point (took about 20 minutes for me). I suggest testing every 5 mins.
Allow to cool in the pan until slightly stiffened, then stir to distribute the peel. Add the whiskey at this point if using. Pour or spoon into sterilised jars, and seal using your preferred method.
I ended up with 9 jars of marmalade - not bad for an investment of $3.50 (for the sugar) and about 20  minutes work (not including cooking time).

3 comments:

Tania said...

This marmalade sounds very interesting, might have to give it a try. It is certainly a different way of making it. Thank you for sharing, I love anything that is easy!

Have a great day,

Tania

Margo said...

Hi Tania, it really is a great method - and the peel is lovely and soft as well. I don't notice any difference in taste when compared to the "regular" method

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

Interesting method for the marmalade. I will have to keep it in mind for next time I make it. Just made a Cumquat and Lime marmalade a few days a go- I love preserving.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...