Tuesday, 12 June 2012

This one's for you Jason!

Jason's comment on the last post gave me the perfect opportunity to make another chart - and I didn't even pay him :-)

He asked how the 2011/12 season compared to last year - et voila! Last year we had about 261kg (of the things I counted), and this year is 189kg so far, but I did harvest at least 5 kilos of yacon on the weekend, and the oca is still in the ground. However, in spite of that I don't think we'll get too much closer to last year's harvest total. For those who are interested the 09/10 season total was 268kg (167kg accounted for by tomatoes!).

The main reasons this year's harvest is smaller, in no particular order
  • The birds ate most of the apple crop, which wasn't as abundant as last year on the main tree
  • I planted half the number of tomato plants - although interestingly they were almost as productive - I think this is due to the cages we used rather than traditional staking
  • The brambleberries had a significant haircut last year, and as they produce on last year's growth we knew we wouldn't' have many this year. Ditto redcurrants which I think were down due to over-zealous pruning
  • I was a pumpkin failure (again) this year
  • The damp summer wasn't good for the courgettes
However, the value of what we've grown this season is over $3,000 - which is a pretty satisfying saving all round!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...